Sunday, September 21

Kiln Opening

Abel and I unloaded the top layer of the kiln Friday while Olive was at tap dance. The temperature was nice and toasty. Everything so far has worked out surprisingly well. Ann's cake stand didn't resist well on the chip and dip side but I think she will like it anyway. I was hoping for precise pink polka dots in a sea of boo boo blue. It's shown here in the center of the photograph cake side up. Sized to fit the small carrot cakes at Wegman's for which Ann has a weakness. Maybe she'll test drive it this weekend when she hosts knitting. The wheat vase is a keeper. Inspired by a set of wheat tiles made by my high school clay teacher Greg Brantman. I'm really happy with the way the mottled straw glaze plays over these rich textures. Coming soon... the bottom of the kiln!

No comments: