Sunday, October 10

Pieces Parts


Had to look at my photos from Greece as I contemplate my new figurative work. I'm still hooked on the fragment although I've added a narrative element. My son has inspired a new take on the Centaurmachy. I'm having some trouble finishing up the series I started in July since my muse has been behaving. Of course we have taken actions to curb his appetite for sugar by providing lots of fruit and implementing a ban on all frozen treats. If given the opportunity, he is weak. Halloween will be here but not soon enough my show opens October 29th!

These images depicting the 12 Labours of Herakeles are metopes from the Temple of Zeus in Olympia. Their display is amazing mounted at eye level. The Parthenon metopes depicting the centaurmachy are in situ and are difficult to see. Perhaps the new museum displays them up close and personal. It hadn't openend yet when I visited in the spring of 2009.

The modeling of the figures has a strange completeness about it despite the obvious missing pieces. The roundness of the form in a protruding limb combined with the dynamism of the gesture really captures the essence of the narrative despite the very literal original composition.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ann Welles said...

Can't wait to show your work at Exhibit A!!
It will be great to share your figurative work.