Thursday, September 16

A Studio of My Own

I can't believe it's done!  I mean constructed.  My deadline was the upcoming Elmira Studio Tour on October 2nd and 3rd.  I promise the paint won't be wet but the smell may linger.  It's all good.  We'll toast some s'mores in the kiln and let the sweet scent of marshmallows and chocolate take over.  I'm itching to finish up the painting and move in.  Of course, I am still on the hunt for a mid-size electric kiln.  Perhaps, if you build it, the kiln will come.

Adam cleared his schedule and got down to work a day after I called.    He, along with occasional help from my fellow potter and teaching accomplice, Christian, built me two walls, installed seven new basement windows and two doors as well as wired in six lights and ten outlets.  The walls required some creative rerouting of duct work which also left me with more head room and heat in my studio.

Working conditions were not optimal since the old windows had been nailed shut and there was only one outlet to begin with.  Did I mention we live near the river?  Yes, the one that flooded our neighborhood in 1972.  As the walls were hammered into place thick chunks of flood mud would bounce out of the joists.  It coated the walls as well.  I briefly considered firing a piece in the kiln to see if it had any potential as a glaze but soon concluded I just wanted it gone.  I know there is plenty more in the rafters of the garage if I really want to try it one of these days.

I'll post some finish photos soon when I stop blogging and get back to painting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Colleen what a dream !
Good to see you growing and getting around so much.
Your studio invite was tantalizing, we'llbe there in spirit and I am gazing at one of your pieces as I key this in.
We are NOT back in our new house yet. I'll email you a link to the FB pix. Hoping by the end of the yeat...hey give my best to Christian and Lynne and the studio...Beth ?
Nancy aka Belgian chocolate